Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Time flies...

So now that I have some free time thanks to finishing my Masters degree, I thought, why not get back to this blogging thing. I will admit, 3 blogs does not classify me as a die-hard blogger, but if anything its a place for me to think out loud.

Right, so instead of looking back and stating the obvious of where I have been for the past year, I have decided to figure out where I will be in the next year.

During the last few days of completing my degree I could only think about the massive amounts of free time that I would have since I wasn't reading textbooks, taking quizzes/exams and writing boring papers.
Goal One was complete-finish school.
Goal Two: figure out what I wanted to commit to next.

I thought that it would be the perfect time to get back into another form of training... running. I have never been a huge fan of running. I played softball and was in chorus in high school so the idea of running a mile never EVER excited me (it still doesn't). So Goal Two became: Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston SC-  a 10k the first weekend of April. I started a little late so instead of 10 weeks of training I had 7.  All I wanted was to finish, since 6 miles was probably the most I have EVER ran at one time. Sadly there were some issues with people being able to go or not, and in the end it came down to me hunting for a place to stay the week of.  I was asked by a good friend, "Why is this so important to you?" my response was, "this is something that I have been training and preparing for now for 7 weeks. It would be like getting to my last exam and saying ..screw it". It just wasn't an option.

God has a funny way of making things work out and they did, along with beautiful weather and new friends!

Goal two was completed-I finished the race with an overwhelming feeling at the top of the bridge (mile 3) and at the finish line of accomplishment in not only myself but the idea of anything is possible if you put your heart and mind to it.
Goal three: commit to finding happiness every day.

While flying back from my ski trip out west to Oregon, I picked up this book called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  Im not saying im not happy by any means, but just reading a little of it made it seem worth while to see what it was all about. Im still in the early chapters, but I have already come out with the following:

"What you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while"


Not only do I feel like this is just perfect for me right now, its great for any time! So the daily commitment to myself is to ensure that I can truly "SMILE HAPPINESS", so I get that warm fuzzy feeling inside just like when I hug someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.